(IKEDC) was electrocuted and lost both his hands.
The incident occurred around 11:24a.m at Club 24 area of the ancient community.
According to report, the victim, identified as Afeez, and his colleagues had stormed the area to disconnect some houses from the electricity pole due to the failure of residents to pay their electricity bills.
It was also gathered that the incident happened when power was suddenly restored while Afeez was attempting to disconnect the cable of a particular defaulting house from the pole and was immediately electrocuted and suffered a severe burnt all over his body. We also lost one of his hands, which was dismembered from his body and hung on the cable as he fell down from the ladder due to the efforts by his colleagues, who hit the ladder with sticks in a bid to rescue him.
His second hand was also reported to be seriously affected in the incident as it caught fire and suffered severe burnt.
In another eye witness account, Afeez and some other staff of IKEDC had come to the area to relocate some electricity poles and high tension cables from the main road, which is currently under construction.
According to the report, the officials of the electricity company started their operation from Ebute and when they reached Club 24, they placed their ladder against one of the electricity poles while Afeez climbed it in an attempt to disconnect the high tension cable but was electrocuted as power was suddenly restored.
After the incident, he was immediately rushed to the General Hospital, Ikorodu in a tricycle, where he was quickly treated to stabilize him before being referred to Gbagada General Hospital, from where he was again referred to Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LASUTH) for further treatment.
A source told our reporter that the victim’s wife is heavily pregnant and would put to bed anytime soon while another said his wife had just given birth prior to the incident.
As at the time of filing this report, the victim was said to be in a stable condition